Saturday, April 25, 2015
Saturday, March 28, 2015
Sunday, March 8, 2015
The following sentence from the book makes me to think for 10 min !! (The book listed thirteen steps to success and the seventeen principles of success)
"If time and money were not an issue, what would you do with your life " ?
I am still thinking about it !
Couple of items that interest me from the book :
- People who are failure in life has good reasons !
- If I have a ...... (There is nothing called "IF". Accept who you are and work from there) Have courage to accept who you are.
- Self confidence and courage - Nobody wanted to follow a non-courageous person.
- Always think about what person X do in difficult situations . What would a new manager do for my organization if I am replaced ?
- A man who can't control him self can never control others.
- "People don't criticize themselves for anything, no matter how wrong it may be."
- "As much as we thirst for approval, we dread condemnation,"
- "Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do.
But it takes character and self-control to be under-standing andforgiving"
Friday, January 2, 2015
Some of my note are given below for reference.
What is a cloud ? Since you have cloud available, why clutter your brain ? You can store some of the brain memory is external private cloud and access it from your home and outside :)
I will not try to define cloud, Refer to National Institute of Standards and Technologies (NIST)'s cloud definition. A Cloud can be private, hybrid, community or public. A cloud should have On-Demand Self-Service, Broad Network Access, Resource Pooling,Rapid Elasticity and Measured Services. Virtualization is an enabling technology for cloud computing. Cloud has different service models such as IAAS (Infrastructure as a service), PAAS (Platform as a service) and SAAS (Software as a service)
Software as Service (Saas) means you don't need to install software in your laptop. My question is will it make my laptop lighter :)
Vcloud suite consists of many products. vSphere is a software suite that has many software components like vCenter, ESXi, vSphere client and so on. This is a combination of different products. ESXi is the virtualization server - type 1 hypervisor. All virtual machines or Guest OS are installed on ESXi server. vSphere client is used to access vCenter Server and used for manage ESXi servers.
vRealize Orchestrator (VCO) provide workflow and automation capabilities. If you are using VCO, then you may not need vRealize Automation (formerly vCloud Automation Center). However for VRA is a good software to automate many infrastructure automation. One of the advantages of VRA is, it has capability to connect Vcloud air.
Not sure why VMware renamed vcloud to vRealize ? Is it a good idea to build your own cloud or buy ? The cloud providers like Amazon EC2 is not cheap. It is very expensive. I created an account earlier using my credit card. Created couple of VM's and installed few Middleware software on it. I realized that Amazon was charging my credit card. Some how I noticed it lately !
Public cloud is a good idea if you need to ramp up and down your infrastructure unpredictably or need elasticity on your existing data center based on consumer traffic.
More to follow .......
Wednesday, December 31, 2014
I was reading about storage this week and sharing some of my notes here:
Only 10 % of data are structured (database). Other 90 % of data are unstructured (Email, Xrays images etc).
Goals for storage optimization:
- Remove unused storage
- Reduce storage costs.
- Provision storage by on demand (Thin provisioning ? )
- Simplify and automate storage management.
- Increase storage capacity
- Remediating storage, reclaiming storage from an application
- Creating chargeback reporting on an application (Is this possible ??)
NetApp,EMC, Borcade, IBM are the major players in storage market.
High end storage provide Active-Active arrays. Mid range storage provide active - passive arrays. EMC Symmetrix is Active - Active arrays which include Symmetrix Virtual Matrix (VMAX) series. EMC VNX storage is active - passive arrays.
NAS device has it's own software and hardware including operating system. It perform I/O much better than normal operating system. Files could be moved across multiple NAS devices without interruptions. NAS don't need to create a new network (like SAN), it can use existing IP network.
SAN - Local network of multiple storage devices. It is a high speed network that makes connections between storage devices and servers. Uses FibreChannel for interconnects. SAN is suitable for large enterprises. It can contain high-performance disk arrays. SCSI is the main I/O protocol. SAN appears to computer as its own storage. SAN provide great performance than NAS. Example: EMC Clariion (currently discontinued, replaced by VNX and VNXe storage area network (SAN)
SAN Carries data between servers using Fiber Channel network ( usually 2/4/8 and 16-gigabit per second rates)
SAN has virtualization:
1) Block level storage virtualization (Aggregate LUNs and enable provisioning of virtual storage)
2) Virtual SAN (VSAN)
- Drive enclosure - any number of drivers. Usually each drive enclosure will have more than SAN drive enclosure has more than one drive. Expand based demand. Type of drive could be SATA. Fiber channel or Solid state
- Controllers & Cache - it is a server with its own operating system. That connects Drive.
- Switch network - Fiber
- Host bus adapter - Similar to computer network card. Fancy name for "Fiber optic network card"
- HBA Driver Servers.
RAID - Redundant array of independent disks. Data virtualization technology that combines multiple disk drive components in to a logical unit.
- SCSI - Small computer system interface connects printers and scanners to computer.
- iSCSI(Internet Small Computer System Interface ) - It is a IP based standard for interconnecting
- Fibre channel
- SMB Remote File Protocol (Including SMB 3.0) - Derived from CIFS.
- DAS - Directly attached storage. Example: USB device or Dell's MD1220
- RAID, Optical storage or Tape.
SAN backbones - Network switching platforms.
- Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA) – Storage industry
- Cloud Data Management Interface (CDMI) - the functional interface that applications will use to create, retrieve, update, and delete data elements from the Cloud
- SDS - Software defined storage
- Pure-Play Cloud Storage: AWS Storage Gateway - Backup local storage to cloud based storage.
- Open Stack-Based Storage Clouds: Rackspace Cloud Block Storage
- RRAM Revolution - New technology for RAM and DRAM
Storage provisioning (Steps).
Assign LUNs (Logical Unit Numbers)
verify that data storage and data recovery routes
create alternate routes in case of a partial failure
Manage storage capacity for expansion
Test the storage to ensure that users can use it
Automated Storage provisioning (Options)
Use threshold to allocate more storage automatically (or send notification to SAN administrator to allocate more storage)
1. Policy driven storage provisioning
2. Application threshold level provisioning.
Applications available for automating storage - EMC Automated Resource Manager software (ARM) ?
Virtual Machine (VM) - A Virtual machine a template which consists of set of files that can be moved and copied. All files that make up a VM is stored in a single directory.
Vmware ESXi has a cluster file system called Vitual Machine File system (VMFS)
Thursday, December 25, 2014
I can see lot of data center around here, however couldn't see any cars parked in those buildings ? Why ? Looks like, a data center need only a security guard !! (security also can be done remotely !)
Automation play a big role in Data center. Any task that is repeatable should be automated. There are several tools available to create workflow and orchestration of process and tasks. Example: Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 suite, BMC Bladelogic etc.
The first step of any automation is to understand the manual steps that an IT administrator/resource performs to do the repeatable task. You document the steps as run book for that process. Next step is to identify the time savings and business efficiency associated with automating those tasks.
The objective of IT automation is to increase speed of IT services delivery and management thereby achieve agility and accelerate application delivery and support.
- Compute - Manage compute infrastructure. Virtualized servers for internal or cloud . Use self-service portals for obtaining, managing and supporting IT infrastructure. N
- Network - Software based networking. Use Self Service Portals for obtaining, managing and supporting network.
- Storage - Software based Storage. Use Self Service Portals for obtaining, managing and supporting storage.
Software configuration management
Sunday, April 27, 2014
Saturday, March 15, 2014
Companies are still in the process of implementing SOA. Some organizations using SOA as an IT strategy that organizes discrete functions contained in enterprise applications in to interoperable, standards-based services.